Friday, July 08, 2005

Love Sheep, Don't buy wool!

First, I want you all to know that I am definitely an ethical vegan. I do my best with the health aspect, but the reason I am a vegan today is because of my ability to empathize with others. I can very easily put myself in the shoes of another being, be it an animal of the human type or of any other species.

One way I am trying to help animals is by making knitters aware of the sheep industry and doing whatever I can to reduce suffering. If you look back through my archives you can actually watch me transition from a non-vegan to the vegan I am today and, hopefully, to a very active vegan in the future. I've done and will continue to do my best with providing you little vegan tidbits and links to help you see my perspective without shoving anything down your throat or being insensitive.

If you must use wool, please use homespun from people you know or farms you trust! (Or use recycled wool from thrift store sweaters, etc.)

Here are sites concerning wool and sheep that I’ve listed in the past:

Save the Sheep!
Love Merino? (video)
What's wrong with wool?
Wool.. The Reality for Sheep
The BIG wool debate on craftster


If you've read this far, I want to thank you so much for at least trying to understand my perspective even if you don't adopt it as your own. I really appreciate all the support I receive in the blogging and knitting communities. I love you guys!

Comments:
Wow! Very VERY cool for you to stand up for your beliefs and be really awesome about it!
I know about the Afghan project because my knitting mentor, Judy Sours, designed the Afghan Mittens! She does own a farm and raises goats, you can see her website, she's the only person I buy wool from usually because I see first hand how her goats live and are treated and these little guys live better than me..haha. I can ask her about how to make it vegan for you!
 
Thanks for all the information. I think for my own benefit, I'd be more comfortable buying from a source I know and trust. For one, it's important to support local business and, better yet, indie business ... so why not find a kind local farm and a kind local spinner for yarn?

Oh yes, and I'm curious to hear about your letter to the Operation Helmet Liner ... I see they didn't have any crochet patterns. :(
 
For those of you who are reading through bloglines, I've edited the post. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle and I'm being a wuss on this one. I do still have a letter out to the helmet designer and if she ever writes back to me, I'll let you know of my progress.

Thanks for the support.

funkyjunkie, I totally agree with the local spinners. I had added a comment about that just before your comment.
 
I just scored about 10 bags of fleece from a local ethical farm. I thought about selling what I spin with it since I know exactly where it came from and exactly what I've done with it...so thank you for the links! Now I know how to market it...now I have to figure out how to spin it! Cheers!
 
I was unaware of the issues surrounding Australian wool, and thank you for the information. As I sit here and type this, I am searching the labels of my on-hand stash, and wonder if the country listed is the actual origin of the wool or just the dyeing, manufacturing, packaging country? Do you know? I would love to see a list of the yarn co's who are supporting the shameful treatment of these animals. So I would know exactly who to avoid!!!
 
I'm so glad that you take the time out to stand up for what you think is right. In the past few months I have been buy a lot of homespun wool, and roving so that I can spin it my self *and all of it was purchased at the wool tour so I saw them demonstrating how they take care of the sheep and the roving etc.* I admire your strength, keep on knittin chickie!
 
Morgan! Wow, I didn't know you were back around. I haven't talked with you since, what? April? Glad to see ya!
 
As always, I respect your opinions and appreciate your fact-finding and input on the subject of the great wool debate. While I will admit that I still knit with wool, I have been trying other yarns such as hemp, linen, Tencel/cotton blends, etc. I also try to find out something about the origin of the wool I knit with, if possible. I don't think that I'd even bother if it hadn't been for the great wool debate at Craftster! While I am by no means a vegan, I do think that I've become more aware of many vegan related issues, and I thank you for that.
 
Thank you for that information, it is good to know
:)
I used the link from your blog to order the vegetarian starter kit, thanks!
Have a great weekend!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?