Monday, July 11, 2005

Book love!

1. Total number of books I own?
I really don’t like this question, because I really have no idea. I know I’ve got 1 or 2 large Tupperware boxes full. I’ve also got a full bookshelf and little stashes all over the house.

2. The last book I bought?
Hmm.. Well the latest book I've received is Les tabliers sont arrives de Paris. I guess that could be the title. It's Japanese other than the beautiful french on the cover. I ordered it about a month ago, but I received it today!
The latest book I've purchased and read was Ella Minnow Pea. (say it outloud) It was a really cute book with a deeper meaning than what lies on the surface. Read it!

3. The last book I read?
Never Let Me Go, The Kite Runner, and Ella Minnow Pea. I'm currently reading Pour Your Heart Into It (thanks to my secret pal!)


4. Five books that mean a lot to me?

The Little Prince or Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery Yes, it's sort of a children's book, but it shows how grown-ups can worry about the most insignificant things. It's just a wonderful and interesting book. It definitely makes me not want to be a grown up.

Little Miss Spider by David Kirk Ok, so another children's book. This book is a very simple view of adoption. It's beautifully illustrated and well written. I'm adopted, so this book means a lot to me.

Tao te Ching by Lao-Tzu, translation by Stephen Mitchell I discovered this book just before I joined the military. I don't claim a religion, but Taoism is definitely a philosophy that makes sense to me and applies to everyday circumstances. I really love this book.

Stitch 'N Bitch by Debbie Stoller ~ Maybe it's a little sad that a knitting book means so much to me, but it really changed my life! I taught myself to knit online, but Debbie's book taught me how to correct my mistakes. SnB serves as a reference book for me. I've never made a pattern from the book, but this book will be with me for a long time to come. (Also SnB nation for the sweater alterations guide)

The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet, both by Benjamin Hoff. These books light-heartedly analyze the characters of the hundred acre wood and show how they demonstrate the philosophies of Taoism. The characters frequently interrupt the text to add their own innocent commentary. These are just really entertaining books that are definitely worth a read.

More about my books:

I've really enjoyed The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. The first book is a little slow, but each book in the series just gets more and more involving. I highly recommend this series. Right now it's only 10 books, but the 11th is due out this year or early next.

I also enjoy lots of books by Kurt Vonnegut: Breakfast of Champions, Welcome to the Monkeyhouse, Slaughterhouse 5, etc.

Douglas Adams was a favorite of mine, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, etc.

I really enjoy reading books about Alexander the Great and philosophers from around his time, Plato, Socrates, etc.

I'm also interested in books on Eastern philosophies, of course. Books about Yoga, knitting, veganism, etc.


5. Tag five people and have them fill this out in their blogs.
If you haven't been tagged, go for it! Of if you have been tagged and want to talk about your favorite authors, do that too!


I'm a member of Knit 1 Read 2. The button is off to the right. If you're a knitter & reader and you're not already in this group, you should definitely check it out. There are some great book suggestions and discussions there.

Comments:
Nice book selections! I just read Never Let Me Go too, which I enjoyed. Kite Runner is on my queue on my library list. I've never read the Robert Jordan series but I remember when they came out and the books seemed quite popular. Maybe I'll check them out!
 
Thanks marirob!

Hey Lauren, you're who I heard about LMNOP from. I forgot to mention that, Thanks!
 
I loved Ella Minnow Pea! I thought I was the only person on the planet who had read it. :D
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?