Thursday, June 16, 2005

Knitting Frenzy!

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but I haven't been talking about my knitting much lately. So many other interesting things have been coming up. However, if you're really observant, which I'm not, you may have noticed that the AV Shawl collared pullover went from being on my 'to-knit list' to being 50% done! (I really need to try to get my progress bars to work with this layout.) This is such a fun and quick knit! I've got the back and both sleeves completed; I've even woven in the ends! This weekend I hope to finish the front and cast on for the collar. Then the seaming... The dreaded seaming.


Wanting to get better at seaming (and more patient with it), I was hoping to do a little in between knitting. This would make it so that it wouldn't be so much all at once. Well, after doing some reasearch via Stitch 'n Bitch, it turns out that you do the shoulder seams FIRST. Ha! I guess I should have knit it in the order the pattern lays out. C'est la vie.

Here's my question though: Can you sew the sleeve seams up before attaching them to the body? I'm guessing that the answer is no, since all my books say to sew the sleeves to the armholes after you sew the shoulder seams. Is this an absolute in the world of sweater knitting? I hope not, but maybe the shoulder caps have something to do with it?

Hope you all have a great night!

Comments:
I would say that it's easier to sew in sleeves before sewing the side/sleeve seams. However, I made a Haiku from Knitty in which the body is knit all in one piece, the sleeves are seamed, and then the sleeves are sewn in to the body last... and that turned out just fine.
 
It's fun to hear about the progress of your knitting! I just realized that June is getting away from me and I haven't finished a project in a while! I was going to take my knitting on a couple of trips I have coming up but I can't take my needles on the plane! Arg! Oh well--I will be able to have them in my checked bags, though.
 
Oooo! So I just got your comment & I think what most of the gals do who get those foreign books is take the ISBN # that they've gotten & plus it into Amazon? I only have a few books like that & I bought them on ebay...muy monies!! haha Doesn't that website make you want to make 900 aprons and just wear them out & about. I'm really becoming tempted too....le sigh...so many ideas...so little time! good luck!!!
 
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm gonna go ahead and do it the way the pattern suggests. I'll keep ya updated!

Amanda, Thanks so much for letting me know about the book. i tryed doing a search for the isbn on amazon, but came up with nothing. i even googled it and nada, ebay as well. if you find it, please let me know. i want to buy it asap!
 
ok...so I'm poking around your blog a bit this morning and what do I see on your list of wants to knit..
the stuff from fall interweave!!! is it already out?! because I'll fall over right now if it is (err no pun intended?!)...or if you were one of those lucky gals to have the preview link...hmm hmm?? I want to make about 90% of what I saw on the preview link...sigh!! well goodmorning & happy knitting!!!! xo amanda
 
I see that you've got the Union Square Market pullover on your "To Knit" list and just thought I'd mention that I've got a knit-along going for that sweater. If you're still interested, why don't you join us? http://unionsquarekal.blogspot.com/
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?