Tuesday, June 14, 2005

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

If you can read only one book this entire year, The Kite Runner needs to be that book.

Before purchasing the book, I was concerned about the setting. What do I know about Afghanistan? Nothing much. My ignorance didn't matter one bit when I started to read. Khaled Hosseini does a beautiful job of describing anything that the reader may not understand, but nothing in this book is difficult to grasp. This book isn't about the politics of Afghanistan. This book is about life. It's about social stigmas, childhood friends, betrayal, guilt, love, and passion.

This amazing story begins with a phone-call. It's an old friend calling our narrator, Amir, who is now 38. The old friend is giving Amir a chance to make himself good again, but he must go back to Afghanistan to do it. Our journey doesn't begin on an airplane, though. First, Amir brings us back in time to his childhood. He pulls us into a world foreign to our own, but into a life that we can relate to. We learn about Amir and his childhood friend Hassan, who loves Amir unconditionally. Hassan always takes up for Amir and protects him from childhood bullies even though he is a year younger than Amir. They are nearly inseparable, until one day when Amir's courage doesn't match up to his friend's. Their lives are changed forever.

The story comes full circle when Amir comes back around to the present time, and the story feels like it has only just begun. The author does not rush an ending, as I’ve seen many other authors do in the past. He takes his time and tells the story as only he knows how, in the most amazing way.

This book is a journey that I will never forget. I absolutely love Hosseini's writing style and the unforgettable imagery he used. I've never used the word 'powerful' to describe a book, but now I truely understand how powerful and moving a book can be. Hosseini's characters were more than well-rounded. They really came to life for me. This book has a resonance that will be with me for the rest of my life. If you can only read one book this year, let it be The Kite Runner.



This is a wonderful essay written by Hosseini regarding his own trip back to Afghanistan after 27 years. You can get a feel for his writing style and some familiarization with The Kite Runner, without any spoilers.

Comments:
I've got this book on my summer reading list! Thanks for another great recommendation. By the way, I like your blog's new lay-out and colors. :)
 
I received this book for Christmas this past year, and I have to agree: if you read nothing else, read this. I cried the entire plane ride back to Phoenix, while reading the book. It was so tragic, so beautiful, and so well written. LOVED it!
 
sounds amazing, will have to add it to my reading list.

btw im tagging you! questions are on my blog
 
AH! YAY!!! I loved this book! I saw that you commented in my blog, frenchtoastcake, and I had to come check out yours! I also would love to add you to my friends list...do you mind?! Thanks again for all the great comments & checking out my blog, I'll come here often now :D
 
Thanks for the compliments Karma, you better get on that book asap!

eva, I cried tons, too! This book was so amazing.

Yahaira, thanks for tagging me! I'll get to it tomorrow. I hope you read this book soon. You'll love it.

Hey amanda! Definitely add me to your friends. I am subbed to your blog and really enjoy it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?