Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Dyeing for Vegans

"Yahaira, you are AMAZING! I can not tell you how much I am just beaming over here! I'm completely thrilled that you've taken such time and diligence to make a tutorial that shows so much vegan love. I never thought I'd try my hand at dyeing, but now I definitely will! I just hope mine comes out half as nice as yours. Your colorway is GORGEOUS!"

That's the most recent post I've put on someone else's blog. Yahaira is the BEST! Over at knit fix, she's created the absolute best tutorial on the web, maybe the only one on the web, for dyeing yarns that are NOT wool.


**Ok, so she demonstrates how to use silk ~ not so vegan friendly, but she does show off some mad bamboo dyeing skills!


May I take advantage of a teachable moment? This is in no way meant to offend or upset anyone. I am by no means the expert on silk and I am in no way perfect. Heck, I bought some Rowan summer tweed yarn a few months ago which is 70% silk and 30% cotton and I'm knitting with it right now! My thought at the time was that it wasn't wool, so it was ok. I've also got an unfinished chinese charm bag made with the recycled silk from tibet. If you look in the archives of this blog, you can see me struggling and trying to figure out how far I wanted to go with my veganism and if silk was something I should eliminate from my life. I'm human! I've ultimately decided that silk is something I can live without and will refrain from purchasing it again. So, if you use silk, I'm still your friend. I'm not judging ya or anything like that. No worries, ok? :)


This is the definition of veganism provided by the British Vegan Society:
"A philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude — as far as is possible and practical — all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, including humans and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."


This is the definition my mind goes back to when people ask me what a vegan is. I feel like this definition is the complete and perfect answer to questions like 'What is a vegan? Why are you vegan? A bug just hit your windshield; can you still be vegan?' - type questions.

Ok, back to the silk! Insects may not seem like animals, but they are in the animal kingdom, just like us. People roast/steam/cook/boil the silk worms while they are still in their little cocoons resting and growing up to become moths. The silk producers do this so that the silk strands are not broken when the moth emerges. All you ever wanted to know about silk.

More interesting facts:
Habitat
Today, the silkworm moth lives only in captivity. Silkworms have been domesticated so that they can no longer survive independently in nature, particularly since they have lost the ability to fly. All wild populations are extinct, although presumably old relatives exist in Asia.


One cocoon is made of a single thread about 914 meters long. About 3000 cocoons are needed to make a pound of silk.


To gather silk from cocoons, boil intact cocoons for five minutes in water turning them gently. Remove from the water and using a dissecting needle or similar tool, begin to pick up strands. When you find a single strand that comes off easily, wind the silk onto a pencil. Several of these strands are combined to make a thread.



Are there other options?

You betcha!

If you’ve just gotta have silk, try Tussah silk. One can never be completely sure how the worms are treated before and after the production, but if quitting silk is too unbearable for you tussah may be helpful. It’s described as being: "gathered after the wild silk moth emerges, making this silk organic or "Peace Silk."

We can’t forget the yummy soy silk and bamboo provided by SWTC. Classic elite also makes a bamboo yarn that feels softer than the one from SWTC, but is a bit more pricey. Keep a look out for Tencel yarn as well. It's really soft and light.


I love being VEGAN!

Comments:
That was a super interesting tidbit about silk, I just recently became interested in silk and I'll be honest, I use wool, but I only buy it from a local farm where I know the sheep & I think they actually have a better life than I do..haha. I bought some Tussah from Treenway in Canada and it's lovely, but I never knew that they boiled the little guys! Thats terrible. I'm having SmartDogs for dinner tonight...have you tried them yet?! I also added you asap to my typepad! I haven't figured out how to reply to comments directly, but thats ok, hopping over here gives me a chance to read more of your goodies!! hugs!!! amanda!!!
 
Thanks for the compliments and the shout out. I totally understand where you are coming from, I only mentioned silk since it's the only animal fiber that this dye adheres to (notice I did call it an animal fiber).

I'm in love with bamboo and I have two skeins of soy silk waiting tgo be used. I rather use these materials instead of something like acrylic, that is such a, enviromentally damaging process.
 
hi there, i dropped in from knits for sanity. i made her stitch markers with beads from target (dollar section) and beads from Michaels and hobby lobby. where i live there is no fncy beadstore and the two in chicago i don't really care for much. so give the marker swap a try. I think you will have fun and don't let the hobby stores ruin your fun. you can find stuff there!
i liked being vegan too. altho i am no longer after 6 years.
 
Well I learned something today, whada ya know. That was a very interesting post. I love how you incoporate your lifestyle into your blog. Very cool Atouria. You're one interetsing girl! HUGS
 
I love your vegan tutorials! Thanks!
 
Hi - I struggle with these things too. I like to buy from people who have spinner's flock. As for silk there is Peace Silk. You may be interested in checking these guys out. http://www.aurorasilk.com/info/peacesilk.shtml
A member of my spinning group got some and it's very nice.

Rose
www.enchantedewe.com
 
Thank you for posting the website on tussah silk. I am not vegan though I love to eat more veggies and fruits, grains and nuts, than meats. I am against cruelty to animals for our gain, but realize it goes on and probably in areas (like the silk farms!) that I never even thought about. It breaks my heart to read that the cocoons are boiled! Obviously there are critters in those cocoons! Ugh! Poor things! So while my budget does not allow me the indulgence of silk yarns, I am thankful for the site you provided. Those yarns look so yummy! I might have to save up some money just to splurge on something so beautiful. Thank you again!
 
Well done!
[url=http://npbjwbrh.com/cqij/tcbq.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://zcprqtrb.com/nris/zoug.html]Cool site[/url]
 
Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit
 
Thank you!
http://npbjwbrh.com/cqij/tcbq.html | http://illmskol.com/tkyb/rqkm.html
 
The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?