Friday, May 20, 2005

Transitions

You know that 95% up there in the blog description? Well, I'm working on that. As far as transitioning all of the household items/personal products, it's definitely a work in progress. On one hand, I'd like to trash everything that has any animal parts/pieces/lard/goo in them. On the other hand, I don't want their deaths/suffering to be any more in vain than it was in the first place. A lot of these products are things that you just don't give away. I mean, who wants have used makeup, etc? It does bother me that I still use some of them. I would love to get rid of everything and just start over. I just can't get over how wasteful it would be, even though I can't stand and usually don't use these items anyhow. Now that I've babbled myself through this, I guess I will trash a lot of the makeup stuff.. Ugh, I don't know, maybe someone will use it.

Aveda is to blame for this train of thought, well partially. I was in desperate need of some new mascara, so I stopped by a salon that carries all aveda stuff today and bought myself some Mosscara. I also bought some lip concentrate in wild plum. I also got some lip liner to match.

I really like their products so far. I can't give a super review because I've only been wearing the makeup 1/2 a day. I'll let ya know though. They gave me a sample of Aveda's rosemary mint body wash and it smells like heaven. I can't wait to use it!

Ok, enough advertising for Aveda. (What I really want to do is advertise for the sake of the animals and the earth.)

Here are a few other companies that boast cruelty-free cosmetics, maybe even organic!

Urban Decay
Avalon Organic Botanials"
Kiss My Face

You can also go to Leaping Bunny to find out what companies and products pass the highest standards in cruelty-free products. To earn the 'leaping bunny' symbol, every ingredient must be guaranteed to not have been tested on animals in any way. I believe that Aveda is not listed because some of their products, namely the uruku line, have some beeswax or lanolin in them. Most of their products, however, do not.

If you're interested in more ways to make the world a better place and incorporating more cruelty-free choices into your life, I really recommend Making Kind Choices. It's really a cool book to have around.

Ok, last consumer related item, for now! I bought Moby's book, "the Teany book" and I had so much fun reading it, that I didn't stop until the book was finished! Moby has been a vegan for over 16 years now, and although his book doesn't advertise vegan recipes, it's got a few in there. It also has all sorts of fun info about tea and random silliness. It was a really fun little read and it has some recipes I'm eager to try. Lavender lemonade anyone?

If I'm getting annoying with all this 'advertising' let me know. I've just made some really fun purchases lately and wanted to share them with you!


------------------------------
ROAKs are scheduled to go out soon. I'll post when I mail them so that you know they are coming.

I'm about 7 inches into the back of my cabled vest. So far so good. It's a slow knit, but a really fun one. :)

/hugs!

Comments:
I love aveda products. One of the things I love about them is the scent... it's so herbal and clean and fresh smelling. I recommend going to a spa that uses aveda products and getting a massage complete with a "sensory journey" or something lala like that. :)
 
i love aveda shampoo. try the shampure.. fantastic! also , there was some talk last year about avalon products not really being organic. check out organic consumer association. com for more info.
 
I was having the same problem with makeup when i decided to go natural on them (i'm not vegan, although all of my cosmetics are) but something i've found is that you aren't supposed to keep your makeup for more than 3 months to a year, and most of my makeup was way older than that...you might consider that a loophole for throwing out your makeup, because keeping it after that point really is unhealthy.
 
I forgot about how long it takes for them to go bad. Time really does fly lately, and I'm sure some of them are well due to be tossed. I think I'm just going to toss them all. It will feel great to have so much less 'stuff' hanging around.

Thanks for all the comments!
 
When I first began my online search for the ultimate product as you say, I got a bit overwhelmed with all the data and suggestions. Sometimes it pays to use something like kiss my face mood altering kiss and just keep it simple.

Thanks!

RJ
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?