Sunday, May 15, 2005

Offensive?

While I'm in the inquisitive mood, I have a question about RAOK'ing. This goes for people who are not actually in the RAOK ring as well. When I send RAOKs they are for two reasons, and two only.

1.) To make the recipient happy.
2.) It makes me happy to make them happy and I want to share a little part of my life with that person.

Veganism and animal rights are a big part of my life. Knitting as well, of course. But, would it be offensive to send a fellow RAOK'er or blog buddy a gift that is possibly vegan related?

I personally wouldn't be, but I'm not everyone. I know that there are a lot of compassionate people out there that just may not be aware of the pain they are causing animals. I have no intention of offending, anyone. I've always been really careful about how I respond to questions about veganism as to not turn people off. In person, I'm probably too quiet about it, actually.

To be more specific, one thing I would do is to only send cruelty free knitting supplies. I won't be sending any animal derived fibers for sure. People could easily miss this as vegan and that doesn't bother me or offend them. But what if I sent a card explaining that it's cruelty free? Would you find it offensive?

What if a friend I want to RAOK is an avid reader. What it be out of hand to send them a book I love like, Making Kind Choices?

I am not a Christian, but I have lots of friends who are. I wouldn't be offended if someone sent me a little something symbolizing their faith as long as they aren't condemning me for mine. And I hope it is easily seen that I am not judging others. I just want to share a little bit about myself and what is important to me.

Ok enough rambling. If you're reading this, please share your thoughts!

Comments:
I think there's a line between sharing ideas and pushing beliefs. I wouldn't be offended if someone sent me a giftie that was animal friendly and explained why they enjoyed/believed in animal friendly products. It would still be a giftie and it could possibly teach me something at the same time.

You are a very conscious person for even considering this. :)
 
i have to agree. i think its a nice idea ..
 
I don't think sending non-animal fibers would be inconsiderate. (Unless you sent them to someone who has stated they hate everything but wool, and you send it with a note saying "You're cruel to other living things. Try some fiber that's not murder!" -- but I know you wouldn't do that.) Ditto for other items--there's nothing wrong with sending vegan treats instead of non-vegan, and even though I'ma carnivore, I sure wouldn't mind someone RAOKing me with some Lush vegan products!

As for the book, again, it would be all down to presentation. "I enjoy this book and it explains a lot of my philosophy. I see you read a lot and thought you might enjoy reading why vegans make the choices we do" is one thing, "here's why the choices you've been making are unkind" is another.

But again, if you're the kind of person who wonders if sending this stuff is offensive, dollars to donuts you're the type of person who wouldn't send it in an offensive manner.
 
i think the other comments are right on! exactly what i was thinking when i read your post! it's deff all in the presentation!

so question as for vegan/animal friendly yarn what do you look for. i mean like what does it say on the lable. I'm kinda in the dark here...
 
I agree with the oher comments about intention and presentation. There are kind ways to present unexpected gifts to people, and kind ways to present new or unexpected ideas. I'm certain you can pull it off with grace and caring.
 
Yup, I agree too! Presente dthe right way, it becomes more than a RAOK, it becomes a chance to enlighten and educate. My breif exposure to you already confirms for me that you wouldnt send preachy, scoldingt info, rather you would send thoughtful, interesting notes, that would help the person understand why these choices work for you, and not leave them feeling judged or looked down upon.

As for me, a RAOK is something that makes me stop and feel like someone thought about me - it's honestly not so much the actual item, more the fact someone else took time from their busy day to do something for me.

You're such a sweetie for being concerned about this, but I wouldnt worry too much about it. Seems to me people on the RAOK list are going to appreciate whatever you send, vegan or not =)
 
I think you are wonderful and absolutely NON-Offensive! you worry too much sweetie. As someone who unfortunately doesn't pay ttention to the things you do, I wouldn't find it offensive. I don't think you need to send a card explaining it to someone if you know that person probably wouldn't pay attention otherwise. It wouldn't offend me but it might others. Hopefully these people will, having received a RAOK from you, start reading your blog. Then they can learn about the things that are important to you. Don't worry so much dear! You are only trying to be a nice, good person. I LOVE YA!
 
Actually, to be the lone voice of dissent?

How would you feel if your friend who happened to be a committed Republican said "I noticed that you enjoy reading: here's a book by Ann Coulter about how liberals are wrong about everything! I hope you'll find it enlightening."

Giving a gift that is in line with your own ethics is one thing, but using a "gift" as a way to convert- shuddder.
 
Emma,

i appreciate your voice.
I would never send something like insinuating that someone is 'wrong' for being who they are. I don't accuse people of being wrong or intent to convert anyone. Although conversion would be a nice side effect, for the animals and that person's health, not for me, all I want to do is make people think. They have their own decisions to make. I have no intention of making those decisions for them.

I've actually never heard a vegan say that ominivorse are evil. The factory farms are! Many people don't seem to even be aware of this, so I guess raising awareness would be a partial goal. Of course my main goal is to send others a gift of kindness and make them happy, without hurting any animals.

Thanks for commenting and don't be afraid (i don't know what word to use there) of putting your blog as a link. I don't flame people.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?