Saturday, May 14, 2005

I'm baaaack!

Finals are finally over and I've got about 2 weeks to enjoy myself until school starts again. I am determined to get my degree and move on with my life, so that means summer sessions as well. I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to quit work and go to school only, but that day just isn't here yet.

It's been forever since I've posted and I've missed getting comments from everyone. I have had time to read and even comment a little on all of your blogs, which I think is what has let me keep my sanity. Knitting through my breaks between studying and the stress has also helped me tremendously.


On to knitting content:

I've bought a skein of STWC's Bamboo yarn and I'm in love. I'm working on the cabled top from Vogue Spring '05 designed by Zimmerman. My progress is slow on size 4 needles, but I've got one more row left before I move on to the size 6's. Here's a WIP shot: (Bonus: you can see some of the stitch markers Laura and Snooze sent me!)


a closeup of my first ever cables:



I've also completed the knitting portion of my Chinese charm bag. I have to learn the backstitch, which doesn't seem to be explained to my full understanding in SnB, to seam up the bottom of the bag. And I still have to attach the bamboo handles. I paid no attention to gauge, so my bag is a wee bit smaller than the one in the book. It's someting like 11 x10 instead of 13 x 10. I used 3 hanks of Recycled Silk Sari yarn from Tibet. Himalaya yarns carries it. The first two rows I knit were such a nightmare that I put it down for a few days. Then I re-approached the project with a new mantra "Loosen up, be one with the imperfection." I am usually a tight knitter who strives for uniformity. Anyone who's seen the sari yarn knows that uniformity is impossible with it's thick and thin and unpredictable texture. Once I loosened up, I loved knitting with the yarn so much, that I couldn't put it down until I finished the bag. I'd definitely recommend this yarn to other knitters. It's interesting to watch the different colorways unfold. There are a few twisties, but they are very easy to handle. I'm not looking forward to seaming, but it should be relatively painless.

I shot this at an awkward angle, but you get the idea:


I've also worked a little more on my Suss shrug. It's not very interesting, so I'd rather show a FO photo than a WIP one.


Now that I have a little free time to myself I'll finally get to do some RAOK'ing!!! I'm so excited about this! I'm sure many of you know who you are, but I plan to send to some random people as well. It probably won't be anything extravagant, but I hope that you all enjoy what I send. Give me about a week and then start checking your mailboxes!! (snail mail is so much more fun than email)

I also have some craftster swaps to finish up. Which will be fun to do! I think I'll get started on those today and intertwine some RAOK's with it! /hugs!

Comments:
I'm back too! and your bag is gorgeous! I, too, am in love with that yarn! I think I want a big wrap out of it...I just want to enfold myself with it! OH and i see you joined SP5, too! What fun!
 
Hey, you! Glad to see you again. I'm excited that you're making that cute cabled top from VK; it always catches my eye as I'm leafing through. I look forward to seeing it on a real person! :)

Have a great weekend!!
 
Good to know. I guess it takes having 3 kids to realize you need to get your life back on track. Any news on if the father has got custody of them yet?

Morris
Ask Morris
 
Thanks for the warm welcome back guys!

I guess morris is my first troll. Ah, well.. if he gets boring, I'll delete him.
 
Welcome back!!! and Im glad you joined SP5. That Sari bag looks better than the original pattern, I need to try that yarn when I'm off my yarn diet.
I've wanted to start the cable 8, but I have to see if I have anything in my stash that will work. If not Ill have to wait, I want to try that organic cotton anyway :)
 
Oh so glad you're back! Sorry it took me so long to read your blog. I've been laid up lately. Love the purple cables!
 
Hi Blogger. I was looking for free knitting patterns related information and came across your blog. Very good reading! I have a free knitting patterns site. You can find everything about knitting stitches, needles, machines, magazines and more. Check it out when you can :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?