Thursday, April 14, 2005

Tao lovin'

I really like the Tao Te Ching and if you're even remotely interested in Eastern philosophies, you probably will, too.

I know there are some free versions of this book online somewhere, but none of the ones I looked at were as well written as the translation I have by Stephen Mitchell.

Here's some passages from the book that I really like:

#8
The supreme good is like water,
which nourishes all things without trying to.
It is content with the low places that people disdain.
Thus it is like the Tao.

In dwelling, live close to the ground.
In thinking, keep to the simple.
In conflict, be fair and generous.
In governing, don't try to control.
In work, do what you enjoy.
In family life, be completely present.

When you are content to be simply yourself
and don't compare or compete,
everybody will respect you.


It presents a simple and honest approach to life. I don't read the text often, but when I do, it helps me feel more grounded and at ease. The tao is pretty cool. :)

Here's another one. Part of it is dedicated to Stara knits. You'll know the part when ya see it!

#11
We join spokes together in a wheel,
but it is the center hole
that makes the wagon move.

We shape clay into a pot,
but it is the emptiness inside
that holds whatever we want.

We hammer wood for a house,
but it is the inner space
that makes it livable.

We work with being,
but non-being is what we use.


Hope you enjoyed the samples!

Comments:
Atouria, first off, I haven't told you yet, but I LOVE your name, it's so pretty and greek goddess sounding.
I wish I could be a part of the aries gang, but alas I am a taurus, explains alot, huh?
Ah yes, the soy yarn..... I have NO plans for it, I'm scared of the repurcussions it shall bear on thine hands! Since I only have one big skein and it's gotta be double stranded, maybe something for my lil gal? I dunno!
We're watching Neil Diamond's "last waltz" I'm a fan, so I'm signing off! Neil Diamond's kinda sorta hot!
 
I found this and thought of you and your internal silk debate--it's the description of yarn for sale from the Wool Peddler (the same site that I linked in my blog for the recycled sari-silk yarn)I think it's $20ish/hank

Rapunzel
100% Tussah Silk
Cocoons are gathered after the wild silk moth emerges, making this silk organic or "Peace Silk."
Lovely tan undertone creates muted colors when dyed. Two-ply fingering weight yarn.
335 yds
5.3 oz/ 150g hank
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?