Friday, April 22, 2005

Nepal

Nepal is the word of the day. Unfortunately, I can't enlighten you with infinite wisdom about Nepal. This is a direct result of my complete lack of knowledge of all things Nepal. Well, almost all things...

My LYS.. Yes, I have an LYS NOW!!.. Knit 'n Needle, is just barely open. They hadn't intended to open until mid to late May, but Debbie has been working herself like mad and we actually had our SnB meeting there last night. Anyhow, she's placed quite a few orders, but the first thing to come in was the gorgeous recycled tibetan silk from himalaya yarns. So, of course, i had to support my LYS and buy some. :)



I intend to make the chinese charm bag from the first Stitch 'n Bitch. I think bamboo handles will lend itself well to the look and the 'culture' of the bag. I'd love to find a tibetan charm to go with it. My interst in the charms led me to Mandala. It seems pretty cool. There are some things I'd really like to splurge on there. :)

Speaking of Nepal, moira introduced me to BANANA SILK. Yes, silk-like fibers made from bananas! Isn't that just the coolest thing? They ship to the US, so if i can't find somewhere to get it here, I may have to order from them. I get Gwen Stefani's new song, Hollaback girl, stuck in my head everytime I think of bananas!

While we're talking about silk, I'd like to mention Tussah silk. Tara told me about this a little while back. :) This silk is gathered from cocoons AFTER the moth emerges. This is such a wonderful thing, and the price isn't bad either! Check out the Wool Peddler.


Here's an interesting aritcle that Ms.Snooze sent me. I find it really interesting and wonder why people don't think about what they put into their body just a little more. I'm guilty of that at times, too. Maybe I just trust society a little too much sometimes.

Comments:
I'm so glad you liked the idea of Tussah silk! I'm also glad you've discovered the joy of recycled silk yarn...that was the expensive yarn I bought a month ago and I just started working with it yesturday--it's gorgeous! I submitted a pattern to spunmag.com that uses it...maybe it'll be in the next issue!
Banana silk, eh? I'll have to check that out!
 
i'm so excited about the banana silk! the skeins i ordered should be in my p o box first thing next week.
 
Those silks are yummy! Havent knit with that yet, and after looking at the pics and those links, it has definately moved it's way up the list of to-do's!

Can't wait to see what you make!!!
 
Yey! LYS!! Mine sucks, so I have to drive still!
I just wanted to say hello! I have been avoiding the computer lately!
 
I really should make something out of that recycled silk... I have a thing for all things Indian. :)
 
Hey Atouria, welcome to Triada along! What a nice RAOK Ms. Snooze sent you! :) Jenifer
 
You'll have to tell me how that silk knits up. I've been eyeing it for years, but never knew what to make out of it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?