Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Vegan Info

In other comments, Christine asks what the deal is with vegans and wool. Aside from the link the the Vegan Baby! post. I wanted to give some sources of vegan information in case others wanted to learn more about it.

First off, Vegan Info. This site is where I got started. If you sign up for their mentoring program, Fran will hook you up with a 'Vegan near you' so that you can chat with them about good vegan food sources and how they got started and any questions you may have. There is also a great FAQ to give you an idea about what products are considered non-vegan and why. (Did you know that many refined sugars use animal bone charcoal in the bleaching process? Ewww.)

Here is a link directly to the wool question in the WOOL

I think that this best answers the wool question though:Ask Jo

It is my sincere hope that not all sheep are treated this way. I read that Australia is the worst as far as ethical treatment goes, but how do we find out which wool was derived from sheep from Australia.

Here is an aritcle that directly addresses sheep in Australia. The words are a bit graphic and I couldn't really read this all the way through. Australian sheep

I feel like many people who raise thier own sheep treat them much better than some companies. Well, I know that they do. I just hope that they never get sent to slaughter from those caring families, because then they would die in a way that didn't match the loving lifestyle they once knew.

On all those notes, if anyone wants to point me to healthy happy wool, aka cruelty-free wool. I will be glad to post them here and check out their products. I am going to meet with the spinners and weavers guild in my area in the next month or so and see if they have any wool to sale.

/hugs

Comments:
I've been having the same questions about the treatment of sheep. I'm not vegan but my husband's a vegetarian and we try to, as much as possible, prevent animal cruelty. For example, we get our eggs from an Amish farm where their chickens have quite a good time running around making eggs....oh, I hope our egg-eating doesn't totally offend you. Anyhow, if you find some cruelty-free wool, please post!
 
Hi Tara, nice to meet ya! I admire your efforts to avoid animal cruelty. :) Your egg eating doesn't offend me at all. I'm really glad that you get it from a farm rather than buying it in the store. That in itself makes a huge difference for the better, in my opinion. I do intend to post more about cruelty free wool and wool alternatives (other than acrylic). Please keep visiting and asking questions. I love to help!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?