Tuesday, March 29, 2005

No more wool!

My heart just can't take it.

Yesterday I found out that the Kathmandu that was in stock from knit2purl2 was 18 sks total, but from 2 different dyelots. She had 9 of each dyelot and they were completely different shades. Apparently, it just wasn't meant to be. I'm going to start looking for alternative yarns for this sweater, but cruelty-free only!

This means that I'll be working on the Beaded Top first. It calls for cotton yarn, so I'm in the clear. I will work towards dying some organic cotton yarn, but I'm taking things one step at a time.

Save the Sheep! is a wonderful site with tons of information about sheep and the wool industry. Want to see the video that convinced me? Remove the wool from over your eyes. I couldn't make it through the entire video. It isn't easy on the heart, so view at your own discretion. Keep in mind that they are focusing on the sheep coming from New Zealand and Australia, which is most of the merino wool on the market. Don't like PETA? Here's another resource: What's wrong with wool?

I say, if you just 'have to have' wool, get handspun from farm raised sheep. Meet the sheep that you are taking the wool from. Make sure he or she is happy and is more like a family pet than just there for his or her usefulness.

I am going to a spinning convention at the end of next month. I know a lot of the women that will be there from my area. Most of them raise their own sheep. I know that the textbook vegan would argue that animals are not here for our personal use. I have to agree. But I do believe that we can have a symbiotic relationship as long as there is a MUTAL respect for each other. Yes, I'm mainly pointing at humans here.
So, IF I do use wool again, which I probably will, it will only be from a family raised sheep. (I guess that makes my title a little deceiving, but it isn't meant to be.)


FUR IS DEAD!

If you go to Fur is Dead, you can learn about how the fur industry works. These sites are very depressing for me. I only visit them when I need more information or am linked to articles. I really think that the more people who knew about the actual process that took place to get the fashion to their body, the less they would buy furs and leathers.
There's a video somewhere on the site, and it's from US fur companies. I can't find the link to it atm, though.

Unfortunatly, I am still wearing leather. Daily. I've been looking a few places for some affordable cruelty-free shoes, but I haven't found any yet. I mean, I want 100% cruelty free shoes. I know that you can go anywhere and get pleather. I just want to be 100% sure that no animal was harmed for my 'anything'.

If any of you know of any good resources let me know. I've looked at Alternative Outfitters, but I haven't found anything affordable in my kind of style. I need sneakers and casual shoes. OK, more knitting content soonish. :)

Comments:
Snooze, thanks so much for coming by! I'm glad that I was able to get ya thinking.
I'm glad you like the sweater, too! The sleeves are a bit long, but I'll learn. :)

Sarah, Thanks for telling me about the Dr. Martens. I have a pair of leather ones that I wear that are at least 5 or 6 years old. They still look good, though. I'd definitely put up the cash for some vegan ones, considering how long they last.
 
Kudos for sticking to your morals!
Your hourglass sweater is bellissima...very beautiful on you!!
 
i have some links to online retailers of vegan shoes here:
http://www.moonrocket.co.nz/links/veganism.html
(under "shoes, clothes and accessories"). hope they're helpful!
 
Hey rebekah!
Thanks for the compliments! I'm so glad that you've been visiting!

Moira,
I'm so glad you stopped by! I was just visiting your blog yesterday and checking out some of your vegan links. I joined the vegan knitting list on yahoo. Thanks so much for the vegan links. I also bought the herbivore magazine today. It has a few online sites I want to check out. Off to shop!
 
I just watched that video and I am sickened. I don't own any fur now nor have I ever. Now, after watching that I am sure I will never own any fur!!!!!

Nice sweater.
 
some interesting discussion about the info at the savethesheep site:

ttp://www.livejournal.com/community/knitting/4038202.html
 
sorry, the link got cut off:

fixed link
 
hey.. found you through craftster -nice sweater! I need (the loose definition of the word) that book....

this site has some great cruelty-free footware... check the final sale section first! :)

also - Earth brand have some cool vegan shoes. but also - not very economical.
 
Mia,
Vivavi is awesome! Thanks so much for that site! Plenty of their items are spendy, but their final sale stuff is just in my price range. I may have to order some clothes from them!
 
Hi - found your blog via craftster - and just wanted to mention another cruelty free way to acquire yarn - recycle. You can find lots of great yarn quite cheaply at thrift stores and yard sales, it's just in 'sweater form'. Unravel it and you've done the planet even more good than by buying synthetic fibers, which are also quite pollutive to produce and often manufactured with cruelty to people (i.e. the workers). :-)
gaile
fidgetybudgie.typepad.com
 
Hey gaile, thanks for the tip. I've heard of recreating thrift store finds, but I haven't gone out and done it yet. I'm not really into most synthetic yarns. I like the plant fibers; well, so far cotton. I plan to get some bamboo and soy silk to play with next month. I'll be sure to post how it goes!
 
Hi, i thought your arguments were graceul and intelligent and you stick up for beliefs well. However, I always wonder when I see people say that they use cotton instead of wool for reasons like this, do they realise the enormous environmental damage caused in cotton production?

Re vegan shoes - you might like this site - http://www.crocs.com/index.asp I've heard they are very good.
 
Actually, i do see the environmental dilemma with using cotton. I am not completely against wool. If I can see how the sheep is treated then exceptions can be made. I do appreciate the fact that organic cotton is making a market for itself and intend to use it from time to time. I will also go for the other plant fibers listed in my post. I feel that right now, it is better for me to favor cotton over wool. Hopefully, one day I will favor wool because of the humane way sheep will be treated. That would be the best solution that I can see.

Everyone has to draw a line somewhere. I'm not and never will be a perfect vegan or perfect person. I'm just doing what I can to help make animals lives a little better.

Thank you for your post and the link. The croc shoes are neat. :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?