Sunday, February 27, 2005

A sad day

I was rightfully worried when I got down to the last skein of yarn for my hourglass sweater.. Read on.

The hourglass sweater has been my first ever sweater along with my first ever pattern from a book. When I first bought LMKG, I didn't know what an errata was. I also had no idea that publishers would release a book that is based on patterns with SO many mistakes.

So, when I decided I would tackle this project, I went to elann.com and bought 12 skeins of their peruvian wool. These came in 109 yard skeins, 9 more yards per skein than cash iroha. Already, I'm 108 yds over what the pattern calls for. I do some research and find out, from various places, that the pattern doesn't call for enough yarn. I freak out a little, because elann was really low on the peruvian wool in brandy orange. I rush to elann.com.. and lo and behold.. None left. And there hasn't been since. So here I am with my completed sweater, with no chance in hell that I'll wear it. Not even in the house. If I move at all the shoulders slip off and come down to my boobs. I'm guessing that I'll need at least 2 more, maybe 3 skeins to get it to cover my bra straps and to even think about the hemming. I've emailed Elann in hopes of a miracle, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

If any of you have any Brandy Orange Peruvian wool in your stash, I'd be more than willing to take it off your hands.

Comments:
I wish I did! That has happened to me on so many occasions! In fact I had to do like 8 swatches for a tank top I'm doing now that caled for size 2 and 3 needles. Guess what? I'm on 6's!!! There has GOT to be a mistake, there's no way! I usually knit to exact gauge! The Orange skirt- the yarn I used was from a project gone afoul, just like the one you ran out on! I had to rip the whole thing out because I couldn't find the same dye lot!
 
OH NOS! That's awful. I'm sorry.

Have you thought about maybe using a complementary colored yarn to finish it off? I'm not too familiar with the Hourglass sweater so I don't know if that'd work or not...

My condolensces,

Trebuchet
 
Thanks so much for your sympathies. I'm feeling a little better about it today, but I always appreciate your support!
 
A
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?